Friday, May 16, 2014

2013 Topps Five Star Football is Awesome But Beware of Ink Stains on Corners

Having watched a ton of 2013 Topps Five Star Football box and case breaks on YouTube, I finally gave into buying some singles.  I had heard that some boxes contained cards which had black ink stains on the corners.

Mindful that the cards might have ink stains, I took to eBay and bought some singles.  I was careful the entire time to check the pictures and scans to see if the corners were stained.  More often than not, you just couldn't tell from the pictures.  Furthermore, as since most eBay sellers are looking to sell their cards for the highest price possible, they will not disclose any defects to the card anyways.  Basically, you're basically just buying blind. 

My first single came in the mail a few days ago.  It was a gorgeous card of a player that I PC, but one of its corners clearly had a black stain to it.

Black ink stains on the corner edge.

I notified the seller.  He has offered a refund, and claims that they didn't see the black ink stain on the corner.  Who knows whether they really did or not.  I suppose if they are a volume seller who doesn't have a lot of time to take an additional five seconds to look at the card's four corners then I guess it's plausible.  More than likely the seller probably knew about the stain, and didn't want to disclose it hoping for whomever bought the card to not see it or not return it.

Be aware when you're buying Five Star singles that the cards may have ink stains on the corner.  It's unfortunate that Topps is having this problem with this product, because it is ruining otherwise beautiful cards. 

No comments:

Post a Comment