Monday, September 8, 2014

Box Break: 2014 Topps U.S. Olympic and Paralympic Team and Hopefuls

I decided to break something completely different.  I purchased a hobby box of 2014 Topps U.S. Olympic and Paralympic Team and Hopefuls off of Blowout Cards.  It's only $40.00 for a box.  Inside, you get one autograph and two relic/commemorative relic cards.

Some of the bigger names to pull are: Lindsey Vonn, Gracie Gold, Lindsey Jacobellis, J.J. Celski, Lolo Jones, and Julia Mancuso.  There are 50 regular autograph cards in the set, plus 11 different Olympic Champion autographs.  When I bought this box I knew it was a long shot to get an autograph of somebody whom I really liked, but for $40.00 I figured: why not?

It turns out, I got super lucky and hit a Scott Hamilton autograph.  I'm really happy with this hit since he's a gold medalist and one of the most famous ice skaters in history.




My hobby box also had a commemorative pin card of Eddy Alvarez.  Pin cards are pretty rare, actually.  Their odds are 1:267 packs.




And my relic card was of Alex Shibutani.




I'm really happy with this box.  For only $40.00 I'm really tempted to try another one but I know I shouldn't.  You get a lot of base and a lot of parallel cards but I'm not sure what to do with all of them.  The base and parallel cards don't seem to be really popular on the secondary market.  So unless you get a relic, commemorative pin, or autograph of one of the popular athletes there isn't much value to these cards.  Nevertheless, they are nice looking cards.  Topps always does a pretty good job with their products.

No comments:

Post a Comment