Monday, April 28, 2014

Box Breaker Review: JD Jammin Sports Cards

I've been dying -- absolutely dying -- to buy some 2013 Fleer Retro Football.  I love the base card design.  I like a lot of the retro inserts (although not all of them).  I like Upper Deck products.  But unfortunately, it didn't seem like a lot of box breakers were breaking Fleer Retro.  The product isn't for everyone.  Not everyone likes the retro designs.  Admittedly, the checklist is filled with a lot of no-name players.  It always sucks when one of your autographs is a player who wasn't drafted at all.  But despite that risk, I just had to buy into a break for some Fleer Retro.

To help me find someone who was breaking Fleer Retro I turned to Google.  On the first page was a box break listing by a breaker who I've never heard of: JD Jammin Sports Cards

Was this person legit?  I did my due diligence.  I watched a few of JD's breaks on Ustream, and recap videos on YouTube.  He seemed legit.  He definitely had a very nice looking website, at least.

I decided to give him a shot and bought three spots in a 3-box box break. 

Freakin' love the retro base card design!

When it came time to break, I got the Green Bay Packers, Atlanta Falcons, and the Cleveland Browns.  The Falcons and the Browns are pretty bad teams to have in 2013 products, but the Packers are perhaps the best team to have!  I was hoping to see some Eddie Lacy pop out.

Show me that Eddie "Circle Button" Lacy #BOOM!

And I did!  Got myself a few nice Eddie Lacy base rookie cards and a Eddie Lacy Greats of the Game autograph redemption!  This is my first Eddie Lacy autograph and it's staying in the PC.

Lovin' these retro inserts!

And I also got a trio of nice Fleer Showcase inserts of Eddie Lacy, Jonathan Franklin, and Chris Harper (not pictured).

When my cards arrived in the mail I was very impressed with the shipping.  JD had put all the base cards in card sleeves, put my better inserts in toploaders, and put my Eddie Lacy base rookie cards in toploaders too.  The rest of the sleeved base cards were then stuck between the toploaded cards and sealed shut in a team bag.  The sealed team bag was then placed in a padded envelope.  The care in shipping and protecting these cards was excellent and was like night and day in comparison to the shipping by another breaker I've used before (that blog post can be found here).

Nice background.  Nice high-quality video.
All packs stay on the screen.

Overall I was very impressed with JD Jammin Sports Cards.  The box break video quality is high.  All the breaks are recorded -- as they should be -- and available for later viewing on Ustream.  Shorter recap videos are on YouTube if you just want to see the hits and other notable cards.  The packs of cards always stayed on the screen so there was no possibility of switching out packs or other foul play.  I'm not sure if a backup camera was used, but so long as the internet doesn't go out then it shouldn't be an issue (of course, when the internet goes out that's why you need a backup camera to maintain the utmost breaker integrity).


JD Jammin Sports cards has one of the nicest box break websites that I've ever seen.  He keeps his followers and customers informed of his upcoming breaks via blog posts and tweets.  You can earn "Jamminpoints" every time you buy into a break which you can then use to buy more stuff (supplies, cards, buy into more breaks) on his website.  He's definitely trying to build brand loyalty in a market place which is saturated with other breakers and where customer loyalty runs deep.  A new feature on the website are "pack breaks" where you can choose which pack of cards you want to buy from a hobby box.  This idea isn't novel but the execution he is utilizing is.  Each pack will be numbered with a sharpie before the break starting from the top pack on the left side and ending on the bottom pack on the right side.  When you buy your packs you choose which pack you want to buy based on the pack number. 

Would I break with JD Jammin Sports Cards again? 

Definitely.  He's one of the most professional box breakers I've every used. 

No comments:

Post a Comment