Wednesday, April 30, 2014

The Pitfalls to Participating in High-End Case Breaks By the Team

Participating in case breaks is always a risk.  Participating in high-end case breaks can sometimes be extremely risky.  Today, that risk caught up to me big time. 

I had bought into a case break of 2013 Topps Five Star Football on the Blowout Cards forums.  The format was random teams.  I ended up with the Cleveland Browns. 

The checklist for the product wasn't out at the time so nobody really knew for sure whether they had a good team or not.  Of course, some teams are pretty much guaranteed to be good no matter what (e.g. Saints, Packers, Broncos).  Other teams you know will be good based on the amount of big name rookies on that team which attended the 2013 Rookie Photo Shoot (Rookie Premiere).  And then there are those teams which are lacking any big name rookies, and who typically aren't your historically great team -- like the Cleveland Browns. 

It was my hopes that maybe there would be some awesome veteran signatures for the Browns in 2013 Five Star but my hopes were crushed when the checklist came out.  Not a single Browns player in base checklist, nor any Browns players having single hits.  The only Browns player in the checklist is Brandon Weeden who appears on a octo-patch book with seven other players.  Even if that card was pulled in the case break, I'd still only have a 1/8 chance of getting that card. 

So, when all is said and done, I bought into a case break, got a shit team, and have about a 0.00001% chance of getting anything from the break -- literally. 

It was only around $40 to buy into the break so it wasn't a huge waste of money.  I knew the risk, but damn.  I sure am kicking myself for buying into this break despite knowing the risks. 

No comments:

Post a Comment